Monday, November 16, 2009

Dreaming...

What do you want to be when you grow up?

The time I ever answered that question (that I can remember) was when I was around 3 or 4 years old. I wanted to be a firefighter, and I was convinced I'd grow up to be the best fire fighting machine around.

Ah, how times change.

Over the course of the years, my dreams evolved. I went from fire fighter to nurse to teacher to lawyer to forensic psychologist to lawyer again to high powered business woman.

Now that it's time for me to actually put my dreams in motion, I'm at a loss.

Somehow when you're younger it's much more fun to think about what you want to be when you get older. Maybe it's the fact that when you're young, your dreams remain largely that: dreams. You can't really do much for your dream of what you want to be when you grow up because you normally need to grow up first.

I'm being faced with this decision much earlier than I expected or wanted to be, but in a way it's my fault. I'd rather not be one of those people who spends 20-30 years at a job they hate because they were too afraid to confront their dreams and make them work.

The thing about a dream is there is a reason a dream remains a dream. There's always some obstacle between it and reality.

What do you do when the obstacle lies not in achieving the dream, but in determining the dream itself?

1 comment:

Video Vix[o]n said...

thats the things about dreams...

we all used to love dreaming back then cuz we had such big imaginations and had it put in us that we could do whatever we want (as true as it may be, there are still things you have to do in order to do what you want to do in life)...

anyway, having dreams are good, but they aren't reality unfortunately... ive actually stopped using the term "dream" because, to me, it implies that i'm still asleep, but i understand why ppl use the term; it's just easy to use...

but its good that you figure out your direction now so you can start heading in it... i wish you well and blessings in whatever you choose...

as Biggy said, it was all a dream, and if he said it, then you know it's real