Friday, April 11, 2008

Words to Live By...maybe

Don't sweat the small stuff. Be proactive, not reactive. Live everyday as if it were your last. Let no man (or woman, i should add) steal your joy. All very inspirational words to live by, all very good things to keep in mind. But how easy is it to actually apply these phrases in everyday life? When something is bothering you, how easy is it to just forget and forgive?

At some point in my life, I've utilized every one of these phrases at least once, trying to apply it as a personal mantra. Angry to the boiling point, I have said one of these phrases in my head or aloud over and over again. Be proactive, not reactive. Be proactive, not reactive. Don't sweat the small stuff. But how many times must you repeat it before it really works?

The problem with mantras like these is that often the results of these actions are not immediately gratifying in the way you'd like them to be. Take being proactive, for example (my personal favorite). The effects of this are often not seen or reciprocated for months! I have used this phrase before when dealing with angering friends and I will say that I am a witness to the power of that phrase, although it takes a while for the effects to take place. The thing is, the circumstances under which you must apply this principle are the most difficult ones to apply it to because you have to keep your emotions under control, and I speak from experience when I say that is a very, very tough thing to accomplish.

I also like don't sweat the small stuff, although that one is under consideration. What exactly is considered "small stuff"? How big does an event have to be before it isn't considered "small stuff" anymore? Because that phrase is so subjective, I try not to overuse it because what is a huge deal to me would not be a big deal to someone else, and vice versa. Something about it just isn't all that constant. But, if you have determined the limits, it can also be an effective mantra. Just not as much for me.

As for the living everyday like your last...I exercise that to a much less extreme. I just try to cherish the people around me. One of my biggest fears is losing somebody close to me and not being able to tell them goodbye or that I loved them. For that reason, I kiss my boyfriend every time one of us leaves to go somewhere, no matter where and no matter for how long. He could be driving up the street but I still want him to say goodbye because a lot can happen in half a block.

Well, I have to go take a test and so I can't really ponder on these issues for much longer here. After class, I have an advising appointment and then I'm studying for the rest of the day for an exam on Tuesday, plus I have a paper to write by Wednesday, and notes to take. My day is pretty full. Until next time...deuces

No comments: