Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Who Said That?

I'm going to the doctor today.

I thought "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". Somebody lied.

Well, in all honesty, I'm not the one who needs the appointment...my 10 year old cousin does. She has to get a shot today, and I don't know how I'm going to deal with this...she hates shots.

I'm not a pro at getting shots either but after you've been through a diabetes test (getting blood taken once an hour for 5 straight hours) at the tender age of, oh, about 5 or 6, you get used to the idea of being a human pincushion.

But...

I can understand her pain. I hate ANYTHING dealing with the eyes, so much so that even now, at the age of 19, I require physical restraint to put eyedrops in my eyes. And by physical restraint, I don't mean just holding my arms. I mean that someone would need to sit on me, render my arms and legs useless, and damn near hold my eyes open to apply eye drops, and I'd be more than willing to bet they'd still waste half a bottle trying to do it.

And we can't forget the time I tried to get contacts. The doctor had to almost hold me down to put the stupid things in my eyes (red flag #1), it took two hours to get ONE contact out of my eye (red flag #2), it took another hour and a half to get the same contact back in (#3), and I ended up sleeping in one contact which caused my eye to turn red, swell, and start oozing so badly that I thought we'd have to go back to the doctor to get it taken out. I've never even so much as look at another contact twice since.

So now I have a few hours to prepare myself to be the patient, loving cousin who holds her hand and hugs her and tells her everything is going to be okay and tries to convince that shots are really good for you and that when she gets older she'll be glad she got them.

As always, we'll see how this goes.

No comments: