Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Letter To The "Mastermind" Behind The Facebook Movie


Dear Aaron Sorkin,

I have just received news that you are intending on writing a movie about Facebook. The first words that came to my mind were: Genius! Original! Something this world really needs!

SIKE!!

When Facebook was first made available to us beings not fortunate enough to be accepted into Ivy League schools, I'm not gonna lie, it was the shit. Students logged onto Facebook so much that it joined the ranks of Tagged and Myspace as one of the forbidden access sites. Then hackers figured out how to log on anyway, afraid that they would be left terribly out of the loop at lunchtime if they didn't have their Facebook Fix. I know. I was there.

The thing I've found about Facebook is that it, like a box of cereal, has a shelf life. It's great while it's fresh, and it's still good when it's in the faltering phase and nearing it's expiration date. Then one day...poof! It's old, moldy, and you don't want to look at it, much less touch it or open your inbox to the myriad Bathroom Wall posts or event invitations. Facebook is the reason I stopped checking my Yahoo email account...it's always jampacked with all sorts of notification nonsense that I find irrelevant to the world. Great.

And now, you want to make a movie out of the monstrocity of this website? For what purpose? Is this a documentary? A reality movie? Sounds more like a joke to me.

Do you really have nothing better to do with your career than make movies about a website that, like it's predecessors, is doomed to become a has-been like an old Hollywood actor?

Let me give you a little piece of friendly advice, from a moviegoer in the Facebook demographic to an obviously out of touch screenwriter...dude...you're out of Facebook's league. By that I mean pass this task on to some other up and coming screenwriter who can use this to further their career somewhat, rather than what you would be doing, which is setting your career a step back.

Trust me, not one damned cent of my hard earned money is going toward some silly movie about how a website came to be. Especially not a social networking website.

Sincerely,
A Concerned Teenager

Talk about movies not being the way they used to be...

7 comments:

David Gerard said...

I've made the Facebook movie poster: http://notnews.today.com/?p=51

Samson said...

facebook is legalized stalking!

Mz. Common Sense said...

@ david gerard - thank you for sharing this poster! This is absolutely hilarious!

@ andre - too right. I swear I be running from people on facebook all the time!

Video Vix[o]n said...

coming from an aspiring moviemaker, this is a haw-rible idea. what next? Myspace the Trilogy? F' that. This dude needs to stop while he's behind and focus his energy on something else.

why, just why? SMH.

queenbee said...

well, i have to weigh my two cents in...they aren't necessarily making a movie about "facebook" just about the guy who 'started" and thats in quotes b/c he apparently stole the idea from his Harvard buddies and went national with it . apparently it was called "Campus in" or something like that. Anyhoo, the guys sued him and they battled it out in court for like 3 yrs, and just settled out of court for an undisclosed amount..basically he bought them off...

yea, thats my two cent.

qb

Mz. Common Sense said...

@ video vix[o]n - LMAO at Myspace the Trilogy...hehehe...and yeah he does need to stop!

@ queen bee - thanks for weighing in your two cents! I think biographies are for people who actually accomplished something huge...not that made one of many social networking sites.

The Fab and The Furious said...

why would anyone want to make a movie about the person who made facebook? is it a big deal because he's from some big ivy league school? NOT! crazyy idea..