Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Happening is NOT What's Happening

Since I'm bored, I decided to do another lovely movie review of a movie: The Happening. 



First of all, after movies such as Sixth Sense and Signs I figured M. Night Shyamalan would produce something as inherently thrilling and shocking as these. I mean, Signs was jumpy and Sixth Sense was just genius as far as the psychological shock goes. But The Happening? C'mon, Shyamalan. You can do better. 

Don't get me wrong, the shock effect was really good. I jumped at a few points in the movie (not that it's very difficult to make me jump), and at first I thought the movie was actually going somewhere. It had promise. Actually, I was pleased with the movie...up until the ending. 

I'm not a fan of conventional endings. Those are for fairy tales. And I'm one of those the-ending-makes-or-breaks a movie people. I went to see The Eye and had a similar reaction. The movie itself was great but the ending just sucked. Bad endings greatly lower a movie's ratings in my book. 

Amardo liked the movie, and I can value his opinion. But the revelation of what was killing these people was less than convincing and the ending just wrapped things up way too nicely. His attempt with a hanging ending was less than subpar.

Should you go see it? Meh... for the shock effects, yes. If it rips your heart to see a young girl in the position this little girl was in, yes. If you want more from the story than shock effects and a few gut wrenching sad scenes, NO. Save your money and wait for it to come out on DVD. 

2 comments:

Hyaku Juuhachi said...

"The Happening is NOT whats happening"

Two words: Pure genius

118

Mz. Common Sense said...

lol thank you :)