Thursday, June 12, 2008

I Should Have Been a Marketing Major

Inspiration sneaks up at the most interesting times. I was already in bed and half asleep when I got the idea to write. I know it's against the rules of writing to jump out of bed to work on something, but I just could not help myself. I had to write.

I am now a registered member of Associated Content. For those who don't know, Associated Content is where freelancers and ordinary people can write articles on basically anything they want to write them on (or they can choose from a list of articles needed). You publish your articles and if they're wanted, you get paid. It is very interesting. I haven't written an article yet but I will be soon so I'll be including links to that as soon as it gets published.

I have a new...idea. I want to become a freelance writer, but I had absolutely no idea that the business (because it is considered a business) was as complicated as it is. I'm not going to lie, I thought doing freelancing would be easy because I could just write some articles and get paid. But I've discovered being a freelancer is so much more than that. You have clients to maintain, deadlines to meet, and forms to fill out. You have to be able to market yourself and well. And you really have to want to do it. So far I've been researching what I need to do and what skill set I'll need to become an established freelancer, but I haven't done much by the way of preparation yet. I think I'll need some help in that area. We'll see how it goes.

Since I can't sleep now (for whatever reason) I suppose I'll do some more research. Knowledge certainly doesn't hurt! Look for those articles within the next week!

No comments: